NytramsPlace

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!


Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 26672
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


Dee wrote:

I dumped Microsoft in 2013 and got a MacBook Pro. I'm not thrilled with Apple shenanigans either, but this machine has been reliable, easy to use, and still going strong, even the battery. I expect it will do me for quite some time yet. When I do replace, it will likely be with a new MacBook Pro.


Hey, Dee, where have you been the past few days?  Off to Idaho and back again already?

As I've mentioned before, Eddie ordered up a Mac desktop a few years ago.  He seems to like it well enough, but the few times I've had to use it (completing an online order for him, usually, because even though I'm not a very good typist, I'm a better one than he) I've absolutely hated it.

The keyboard has a beige background with white letters, numbers, and symbols, and it's smaller than PC keyboards.  Even worse is the mouse, which is touchy, flighty, and fidgety.  I have no need or desire for smaller things, like Pads or Books or Phones, but I envy and admire those who can figure them out. aww 



__________________



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 26672
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


KidCharlieMane wrote:

I'm bumping this up again so Kitty and everyone else can refresh their memories.

Wow, was it really two years ago? Already?

Time doesn't march anymore...it runs. Faster and faster every day.

Charlie



-- Edited by KidCharlieMane on Thursday 26th of April 2018 11:42:54 AM


Thanks, Charlie.  I truly don't recall MS trying to hijack my Win7 system, just memos ad nauseum promoting Win 8.1 (apparently Win 8 was not a Winner).  I can't remember the reason a few years ago for Eddie hauling me down to Sam's Club to buy a new computer for myself, but it was before he ordered up his Mac.  Anyway, it came with 8.1, and I didn't like it one bit.  This was probably during the promotion for "reach out and touch the screen" bullshit.

I happily settled in with Ed's PC and its quite large screen, plus his newer, slightly smaller one shares the desk.

Next we started hearing about Win-10.  What happened to Win-9? confuse



__________________



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 32135
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


KittyBiggerstaff wrote:

Sneaky Bill is more like it.

So how many times must we exercise our choice to "decline" before they leave us alone?


Anything before 10 will become orphan operating systems and be open to every bit of malware on the net. 

I'm still running 7 on my laptop so I'm screwed too.

hmm



__________________

Nytram Press   

© 2020

 

 

 



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3058
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


nytram wrote:
KittyBiggerstaff wrote:

Sneaky Bill is more like it.

So how many times must we exercise our choice to "decline" before they leave us alone?


Anything before 10 will become orphan operating systems and be open to every bit of malware on the net. 

I'm still running 7 on my laptop so I'm screwed too.

hmm


I have been reliably informed by those who understand these matters that Linux is the way to go. That said, those who know seem to spend forever and a day arsing around before I can download the next series of Miss Fisher Mysteries.



__________________


Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 26672
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


But what about Panda, which our Computer Wizard, Troy, has always recommended, and Malwarebytes, which you've always recommended?  So far, they've both done quite right.

I guess--no, I know--I resent the presumption that we all NEED to be in relentlessly constant contact not only with people we might know but with those of whom we've never heard, and all for the purpose of spying upon our conversations and trying to discover products to advertise to us.

It's enough to make me miss dial-up connections--and party lines when Mama and I first talked the Grands into getting a telephone.



__________________



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 32135
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


boosewell wrote:
nytram wrote:
KittyBiggerstaff wrote:

Sneaky Bill is more like it.

So how many times must we exercise our choice to "decline" before they leave us alone?


Anything before 10 will become orphan operating systems and be open to every bit of malware on the net. 

I'm still running 7 on my laptop so I'm screwed too.

hmm


I have been reliably informed by those who understand these matters that Linux is the way to go. That said, those who know seem to spend forever and a day arsing around before I can download the next series of Miss Fisher Mysteries.


The few real computer geeks I know swear by Linux. I'm just really hating the idea of learning a new operating system.



__________________

Nytram Press   

© 2020

 

 

 



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3058
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


nytram wrote:
boosewell wrote:
nytram wrote:
KittyBiggerstaff wrote:

Sneaky Bill is more like it.

So how many times must we exercise our choice to "decline" before they leave us alone?


Anything before 10 will become orphan operating systems and be open to every bit of malware on the net. 

I'm still running 7 on my laptop so I'm screwed too.

hmm


I have been reliably informed by those who understand these matters that Linux is the way to go. That said, those who know seem to spend forever and a day arsing around before I can download the next series of Miss Fisher Mysteries.


The few real computer geeks I know swear by Linux. I'm just really hating the idea of learning a new operating system.


 I learned Pascal when Blaise Pascal was in short trousers, but I quickly forgot it and have felt better ever since. Still, I can't remain ignorant all the days of my life so I have decided to start on Visual Basic.

But very slowly.

The thing about computers is that they are very, very dumb, but they make up for it by being very, very fast. It is a bit like the phone freaking craze of a few years back.  My boy would ring me up via echanges in the US, France, India wherever and I would congratulate him on how clever he was and all the while be thinking he is only next door, is this why I am up to my armpits in school fees?



__________________


Resident Curmudgeon

Status: Offline
Posts: 11733
Date:
Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


Wonderful. Twenty years online and now these fucking assholes are going to return me to the days of 1998, and make me start all over again from Square One as a newbie virgin. Am I pissed off? Damn betcha! I knew this would happen eventually, but I am still plenty pissed.

Charlie

__________________

EE047YSXoAUvgOF.jpg

 

 There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -- Albert Schweitzer

 
 King-Nixon-280.jpg 
KCM (Imperial Lizard and Resident Curmudgeon)



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3058
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


KidCharlieMane wrote:

Wonderful. Twenty years online and now these fucking assholes are going to return me to the days of 1998....

Charlie


 Is that bad?

Twenty years ago when I was buying and selling books on line, I could find stuff but not order it. So I would ring folk up and they would turn out to be hippies living in the middle of nowhere, but they would promise to send the books in a few days because the nearest post office was a couple of hours drive away. Or it was nice girls in Los Angeles who could not understand a word I was saying but who were too polite to say so.

This instant communication lark is all very well, but not as much fun as before.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 5461
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


I had to take my computer into the Wizard Computer shop about three weeks ago now. I got it back after a week because they had to order a new part for it. I get it home and turn it on and what did I find but Windows 10 installed. I had Windows 8 and was doing just  fine for my needs. I called the shop and the fellow who repair it told me that Windows 8 was going to be obsolete in the next year. Otherwise I would have told him to download Windows 8.  I was and am still  damn mad about it all. The repairs cost  a small fortune and here I am not knowing what  or where to find certain  features I had before all of this. 

I admit I have always been practically computer illiterate since I  first got a  my  computer 18 years ago .cryconfuseconfuseOh I was doing fine for years until they made it impossible  to copy and paste. LOL's

So to get on with my point I could not access Wi-Fi through our internet provider of Explorer.net  this morning. I then called the computer shop and he said since the computer would go to desktop and to my home page it must be he fault of my Explorer.net. I also  told him I found out by looking page after page of troubleshooting it said" no connection" and I had "limited " space". The Fellow at the shop said this will have to be changed  to unlimited  space to get full connection. I asked him how can I change it and he said to go through my provider. 

I am still trying to get through to Explorer.net to get this all remedied. Of course they are busy.

I do not know whether to scream or cry. So I did both.wink

I then started to dance...

Uni



__________________


Full Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 120
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


KidCharlieMane wrote:

Wonderful. Twenty years online and now these fucking assholes are going to return me to the days of 1998, and make me start all over again from Square One as a newbie virgin. Am I pissed off? Damn betcha! I knew this would happen eventually, but I am still plenty pissed.

Charlie


 Yes, instead they should keep everything the same for all of time so that KidCharlieMane doesn't have to learn anything new.



__________________


Resident Curmudgeon

Status: Offline
Posts: 11733
Date:
Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


First things first...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...or you'll make it worse.
Secondly, and more importantly, I believe you remain here mostly to target individual posters.
That doesn't fly here...never has, and never will. So go f'k yourself, Jack.
Don't bother replying that I think it's all about me, because you're right. So sue me.

(Ahhh, I notice this is KCM post number 7734. How convenient. So why don't you just GTFO of here and go to hell, upside down?)

Charlie



-- Edited by KidCharlieMane on Friday 27th of April 2018 10:15:57 PM

__________________

EE047YSXoAUvgOF.jpg

 

 There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -- Albert Schweitzer

 
 King-Nixon-280.jpg 
KCM (Imperial Lizard and Resident Curmudgeon)



Full Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 120
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


KidCharlieMane wrote:

First things first...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...or you'll make it worse.
Secondly, and more importantly, I believe you remain here mostly to target individual posters.
That doesn't fly here...never has, and never will. So go f'k yourself, Jack.
Don't bother replying that I think it's all about me, because you're right. So sue me.

(Ahhh, I notice this is KCM post number 7734. How convenient. So why don't you just GTFO of here and go to hell, upside down?)

Charlie



-- Edited by KidCharlieMane on Friday 27th of April 2018 10:15:57 PM


 Nytram, here's your answer to "Do we need/want new members?"



__________________


Resident Curmudgeon

Status: Offline
Posts: 11733
Date:
Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


Wow. Three minute-response time. I rest my case.
And do we need any more jamokes like you? Highly unlikely.
This conversation is over. -73- and good night.

Charlie

__________________

EE047YSXoAUvgOF.jpg

 

 There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -- Albert Schweitzer

 
 King-Nixon-280.jpg 
KCM (Imperial Lizard and Resident Curmudgeon)



Full Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 120
Date:
Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


KidCharlieMane wrote:

Wow. Three minute-response time. I rest my case.
And do we need any more jamokes like you? Highly unlikely.
This conversation is over. -73- and good night.

Charlie


 That I happened to be online and saw your reply is now evidence against me? You responded in 4 minutes. Most of my posts have been on the religion and politics board, but you think I'm here targeting you? You seem to have some delusions of grandeur in this conspiracy theory of yours if you think that I've come here specifically to target you just because I reply to you once in a while.  I should be the one who feels targeted seeing as how you consistently accuse me of ridiculous things and tell me in extremely unkind words that I am not welcome here.



-- Edited by JamesKPolk on Friday 27th of April 2018 10:33:10 PM

__________________


Resident Curmudgeon

Status: Offline
Posts: 11733
Date:
Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


I've been feeling poorly for almost a month, and my kitchen is being remodeled. You didn't deserve all that. I am sorry.

I keep thinking this should be a Trump-Free Zone, where everyone hates him and leans left, and where we all have the same views and outlooks and politics. But what would be the fun in that? We need some folks to rake the muck, like you and Boozy.

I will readily admit that I don't care at all for conservatives, either online or in Real Life. My first cousin and I had a falling out a dozen years ago, after 55 years of being as close as brothers, and now we no longer communicate.

Multiply that by millions and it's where America is at right now. Makes me angry and sad.
Maybe you're a good person in Real Life...I don't know. But I've been unfair to you, and I apologize.

Charlie

__________________

EE047YSXoAUvgOF.jpg

 

 There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -- Albert Schweitzer

 
 King-Nixon-280.jpg 
KCM (Imperial Lizard and Resident Curmudgeon)



Full Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 120
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


KidCharlieMane wrote:

I've been feeling poorly for almost a month, and my kitchen is being remodeled. You didn't deserve all that. I am sorry.

I keep thinking this should be a Trump-Free Zone, where everyone hates him and leans left, and where we all have the same views and outlooks and politics. But what would be the fun in that? We need some folks to rake the muck, like you and Boozy.

I will readily admit that I don't care at all for conservatives, either online or in Real Life. My first cousin and I had a falling out a dozen years ago, after 55 years of being as close as brothers, and now we no longer communicate.

Multiply that by millions and it's where America is at right now. Makes me angry and sad.
Maybe you're a good person in Real Life...I don't know. But I've been unfair to you, and I apologize.

Charlie


 Thank you for the apology. I'll admit I was not expecting that when I saw you had replied. I apologize as well for making you feel targeted. Here's hoping you feel better and your kitchen remodel goes well.



__________________
Dee


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 6010
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


KittyBiggerstaff wrote:
Dee wrote:

I dumped Microsoft in 2013 and got a MacBook Pro. I'm not thrilled with Apple shenanigans either, but this machine has been reliable, easy to use, and still going strong, even the battery. I expect it will do me for quite some time yet. When I do replace, it will likely be with a new MacBook Pro.


Hey, Dee, where have you been the past few days?  Off to Idaho and back again already?

As I've mentioned before, Eddie ordered up a Mac desktop a few years ago.  He seems to like it well enough, but the few times I've had to use it (completing an online order for him, usually, because even though I'm not a very good typist, I'm a better one than he) I've absolutely hated it.

The keyboard has a beige background with white letters, numbers, and symbols, and it's smaller than PC keyboards.  Even worse is the mouse, which is touchy, flighty, and fidgety.  I have no need or desire for smaller things, like Pads or Books or Phones, but I envy and admire those who can figure them out. aww 


 Idaho trip is next week, just taking a little computer time break.

My sister's MacBook Air is as you describe, touchy, flighty and fidgety but only when I'm using it, it works just fine for her.  No idea why!  Mine is solid as can be.  

Years ago I tried switching from a desktop PC to a large laptop, but I was never happy with it.  It was so big, it wasn't comfortable in my lap, and using it on the desk I missed my big screen and keyboard.  Since getting this 13 inch model, I have adjusted to the small screen and even the keyboard.  What I truly love is being able to use it comfortably while sitting in my recliner. No longer am I stuck at my desk in the office.  The only time I use it at home away from the recliner is when I have to do actual work.  I did have to make some tweaks to the display settings so I could read smaller fonts.

I also have an iPad that I used mostly for some games that I no longer play, but I still use it for short flying trips, like the one coming up to Idaho.  Usually I haul my MacBook along on longer trips, but TSA makes me take it out of my bag whereas the iPad I can leave in the bag.  It also doubles as a Kindle reader, which is pretty handy when traveling. 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3058
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


KidCharlieMane wrote:

Thanks muchly. All I can do is tough out both of them. April has really STUNK.
Hopefully, May will be better. And warmer. And greener. Still looks and feels like winter here.

Charlie



-- Edited by KidCharlieMane on Saturday 28th of April 2018 02:14:26 PM


 It is a hell of a thing if friends can't enjoy a little cheerful banter. Mind you, having the flu and the builders in is enough to make anyone cranky. The first is bad enough, but it isn't just that builders like to start at sparrowfart, the sod are always so bloody cheerful.

Anyway,Spring is a bit late, but on its way.......

 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 32135
Date:
RE: Heads up! Microsoft is trying to hijack the systems of Windows 7 and 8 users...be alert...NOW MORE THAN EVER!
Permalink  
 


boosewell wrote:
All I can do is  first is bad enough, but it isn't just that builders like to start at sparrowfart, the sod are always so bloody cheerful.

If you knew what was really running through their heads you'd run screaming from the room.

smile



__________________

Nytram Press   

© 2020

 

 

 

«First  <  1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard